[mythtv-users] iMac as possible Frontend?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Mar 7 18:46:44 UTC 2008

On Mar 7, 2008, at 10:26 AM, Brian Wood wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2008, at 10:52 AM, David Brodbeck wrote:
>

>> $600 for a G5 is crazy, considering you can get a dual-core Mac Mini
>> for the same price.  I've never understood why used Apple hardware is
>> so ridiculously expensive.
>
> Some of it isn't. $89 for a G4 tower seems reasonable:
>
> (not sure why they're cheaper than the G3s)

Some people need the legacy hardware on a G3 (like an ADB port) and
will pay a premium for it instead of upgrading their hardware to
replace whatever ADB device they are using (for example).

> http://www.wegenermedia.com/
>
> $169 for a 500Mhz. G4 iBook is reasonable as well, and it can play SD
> to a point.
>
> But I agree, the G5 units seem pretty high still.

They are still in heavy use - again, for legacy reasons. People who
use software that hasn't ported over to Intel architecture will pay a
premium for a G5. For instance, lots of recording studios were
hoarding G5's because ProTools didn't run on Intel until recently. So
now you either get to keep all your old ProTools stuff which is
perfectly fine and upgrade to the fastest processor you can support
with it (a G5) or you can upgrade ProTools and possibly your recording
hardware to support the Intel architecture for a LOT more money. Oh,
and if you buy a new machine you also have to buy OS X.4 for another
$129 or whatever it is because ProTools for Intel won't run on Leopard
yet. :)

This is just one example because I happen to be familiar with it, but
I'm sure there are plenty of others.