[mythtv-users] It's over, the RIAA is toast

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Mar 5 16:48:58 UTC 2008

On Mar 5, 2008, at 8:42 AM, Ronald Frazier wrote:

>> I whole-heartedly disagree with the RIAA tactics in trying to sue the
>> listeners, but I also whole-heartedly agree the RIAA needs to
>> exist. I want
>> to know their lawyers are available in case someone tries to pass
>> off one of
>> my songs as their own or covers one of my songs and forgets to pay
>> me. I
>> know I don't have the money to fight that in court.
>
> Don't delude yourself into thinking you'd benefit.

I'm not. I know people who have used the RIAA to get compensated for
their music that was used inappropriately by other people. No, they
didn't get rich in some outlandish court decision, but they didn't
have to spend any money out of their pockets and were ultimately
compensated appropriately. One of them bought a house with the money.
Hooray! :)

> Even if there were
> any money left over after the legal costs, don't presume they wouldn't
> find some create way to avoid handing it over to you. With all the
> money that's come from all of the RIAA lawsuits, just take a guess at
> how much of that money has gone to the artists. Go ahead, I'll give
> you a minute to think about it................

> ZERO. They've been getting called out on it too, so now their creative
> response is "well, were trying to figure out some way to distribute
> the money". They've been filing these lawsuits for YEARS and yet they
> still can't come up with some way to compensate the artists with the
> proceeds. Somehow, I think they are being less than honest.

Like I said, I don't agree with the RIAA lawsuits at all. I'm sad they
started getting into the suing people business instead of staying in
the music business.

-Brad