[mythtv-users] Comcast to drop analog cable

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Jun 25 00:43:01 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 24 June 2008 18:13:47 Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> And the only thing keeping me from upgrading to a business account is
> that the residential account comes with 15Mbps cable service anyways.  I
> think I've determined that anything over 5-6 Mbps looks the same to me,
> so I wouldn't be gaining much.  Oh, and I'm 9 months into a 24 month
> contract ATM.

I'm sure if you converted to a business account the remainder of your
residential contract would be waived, it certainly was in my case.

There is a big difference between speeds quoted for residential and business
accounts. Residential service usually has the infamous "up to" in front of
the speed, and is not guaranteed. For a commercial account the speed is a
guaranteed minimum.

For a 22 hour outage on my account I received a credit equal to about 5 days
worth of service, I seriously doubt you would see that happen with a
residential account.

Business accounts also usually have faster outbound speeds. Notice that
outbound speed is generally not mentioned for residential accounts, probably
because it is normally about 6 bytes per fortnight.

beww