[mythtv-users] Outputting AC3/DTS in analog too?

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 18:36:10 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Marc MERLIN <marc_mtv at merlins.org> wrote:

> My mythtv is connected into a denon AVR3808 receiver with a coax digital
> connection.
> This plays analog and digital audio just fine.
>
> Problem is that I would like to send my sound to my second TV so that I can
> display the same video/audio output to two TVs. I already have an HDMI
> splitter and my picture goes to both TVs.
> If my sound is analog, the denon receiver will also send it to its audio
> output, to my second TV.
> If it's digital, it will not do that.
>
> Denon says that I need to connect a separate analog audio signal to its
> input for that audio to go to the second TV.
>
> Can I configure mythtv to downsample AC3/DTS to stereo and play AC3 on its
> digital output like it does now _and_ analog downsampled audio to on its
> analog out?
>
> If not, I take it alsa can do that, but I've had very little luck with alsa
> configs in the past. Do you have a pointer to a working alsa config that
> will both
> 1) convert analog audio to digital and send both analog out and digital out
> 2) downconvert digital audio and send both the analog and original digital
>   signal?

I was unable to figure out how to do that in software (I'm not sure if it's
possible), so I eventually bought one of these:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4907

For $80, you get a very small box that takes a TOSLink or RCA digital input
and outputs analog L & R.  Note that the input must be 2-channel digital
audio.  It won't work with 5.1.

-Jerry