[mythtv-users] OT: Analogue to S/PDIF converter

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Tue Jun 24 06:27:39 UTC 2008

Jerry Rubinow wrote:

> http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4907
>
> For $80, you get a very small box that takes a TOSLink or RCA digital input
> and outputs analog L & R.  Note that the input must be 2-channel digital
> audio.  It won't work with 5.1.

I was looking at one of those as a way to get SWMBO's new Wii working
with the component-video-n-digital-audio-magic-switch[1].

How well do those things work?

[1] Nintendo hurts my head at times.  Why, oh why, would one offer
     component out for the video but not S/PDIF out for the audio?
     And what's with the hard limit of 2 gig on SD cards, and USB ports
     that can't use a USB hard drive as a replacement for said SD cards
     and internal 512 Meg flash?