[mythtv-users] Myth Scheduler doesn't work as expected for two tuners & multirecord=2

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Sun Jun 15 09:21:31 UTC 2008

On Sunday 15 June 2008 02:48:17 Bill Williamson wrote:

Phew! I guess I stirred something up! Sorry.

> You also should realize that you are in a VERY small minority of myth
> users who actually use live TV.  I owned a tivo from 2000-2003, then
> ran myth from 2004 onward.  I have not used livetv functionality
> (without prescheduling) on ANY PVR since 2001.  If you want a system
> that is focused around livetv, and adds vcr-style-recording as an
> afterthough, then plain and simple mythtv is not for you.  A huge
> amount of effort was spent actually depricating "traditional"
> ringbuffer style livetv in .19 to allow for enhancements elsewhere.

OK a very small minority, but nonetheless a minority is not nobody. Speaking personally I don't want a system that's focussed around live tv, but I do like the live tv functionality. As, it appears, do a fair few others. I hope what comes out of this is that devs realise that there are people who appreciate the efforts that has gone into it.

Reading this over, I wonder if maybe the devs are getting too focussed on the dev's definition of live TV - which appears to be a very different way of doing things, code-wise, than recording tv - and the end-user's definition of live TV - which is 'I push button watch program now'. It's clearly a big thing for the devs as to whether it's going through the recording interface or some other bit of code, but for the end users it's no big thing at all - so long as the *appearance* of the operation is that I'm watching TV Live, it doesn't matter to me whether it's recording into a ringbuffer, a 10 gigabyte file, or a wax cylinder. If Live TV is actually just scheduling an immediate recording, it still *looks* like Live TV, so everyone's happy. I hope.

Mark.