[mythtv-users] Linux software raid question

Carl L. Gilbert clg-social at rigidsoftware.com
Sat Jun 7 03:13:24 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 14:13 +1000, Dean Harding wrote:
> Carl L. Gilbert wrote:
> > Hardware is hardware.  If your drive controller blows it blows.  Don't
> > matter if its on the MB or in a card plugged into the MB.  No difference
> > here.
> There's a big difference, actually. If the motherboard dies and you're
> using software RAID, you can just buy another motherboard and keep
> going. It doesn't matter what kind of motherboard you buy, it could be
> from a different manufacturer, even different architecture.
> > I am not claiming HW does something software does not.  You are claiming
> > the superiority of what I assume is FakeRAID.
> Software RAID is not Fake RAID. Software RAID just takes two (or more)
> regular drives, connected via a regular SATA or PATA interface, and
> combines them into one logical drive. It's done entirely in software
> (obviously) and does not require one of those "Fake RAID" controllers.

OK.  but fakeraid at least tries to be transparent to the OS so you can
boot the OS on it.  you cant boot software on the RAID array.
Your /boot partition is not on the raid array.  at least last time mine
was not.

> > So what do you do when one of your drives dies on software RAID?  Put in
> > a new drive and go about your business?  Nope.
> True, there is one extra step:
> raidhotadd /dev/mdX /dev/sdX
> (Of course, if more than one disk dies, it's harder than that, but I'm
> sure the same is true of hardware RAID as well).
> Dean.

who recreates the partition table on the new drive?  i know you add
partition to the array easy, but...

Its been a while since I did software RAID.  Are you doing 1 jumbo
partition?  last time I did software raid I had to recreate the
partitions then add them to the array one at a time.