[mythtv-users] Systemax BTO Mini PC Frontend?

Reid Anderson reidsanderson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 03:27:59 UTC 2008

I spotted this little system (link below) on TigerDirect tonight and am
curious what anyone/everyone thinks of it as a frontend?  I have a ShuttlePC
currently in my living room that is serving as a combo FE/BE, but would like
to have our second TV (bedroom) tap into the same recordings/guide/tuners,
etc.  Of course this unit wouldn't add any tuners to the mix (I already have
two SD and two HD tuners), but could it handle the work of an HD frontend?
 As far as the specs are concerned, it can be configured with various size
HD's, but all options use 2.5" 5400rpm SATA drives.  It has 1GB of PC5300
667MHz RAM (2GB are available for an extra $70).  Most importantly, it has a
1.73GHz Pentium Dual Core T2370, but I would think the upgrade to an Intel
Core2 Duo 1.83GHz would be worth the extra $50.  Given my setup at home,
wireless would be important, so any suggestions on compatibility with Ubuntu
(Mythbuntu) in regards to the two wireless options (Intel 3954a/b/g Wireless
Mobile for $25 or Wireless 802.11b/g Mini PCIe Card for $20) would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
     Reid

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3728239&CatId=2313