[mythtv-users] Systemax BTO Mini PC Frontend?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 15:45:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 11:27 PM, Reid Anderson <reidsanderson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I spotted this little system (link below) on TigerDirect tonight and am
> curious what anyone/everyone thinks of it as a frontend?  I have a ShuttlePC
> currently in my living room that is serving as a combo FE/BE, but would like
> to have our second TV (bedroom) tap into the same recordings/guide/tuners,
> etc.  Of course this unit wouldn't add any tuners to the mix (I already have
> two SD and two HD tuners), but could it handle the work of an HD frontend?
>  As far as the specs are concerned, it can be configured with various size
> HD's, but all options use 2.5" 5400rpm SATA drives.  It has 1GB of PC5300
> 667MHz RAM (2GB are available for an extra $70).  Most importantly, it has a
> 1.73GHz Pentium Dual Core T2370, but I would think the upgrade to an Intel
> Core2 Duo 1.83GHz would be worth the extra $50.  Given my setup at home,
> wireless would be important, so any suggestions on compatibility with Ubuntu
> (Mythbuntu) in regards to the two wireless options (Intel 3954a/b/g Wireless
> Mobile for $25 or Wireless 802.11b/g Mini PCIe Card for $20) would be
> greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
>      Reid
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3728239&CatId=2313

you could build something similar for cheaper, I just did. I already
had a harddrive, but other than that all new components, plus a case
with an LCD and remote all for a bit under $400. It's not quite as
small, but cheaper.
if you want that form factor I'd say just go with a Mac Mini. same
price range but no having to deal with TigerDirect, and you'd also get
a remote.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!