[mythtv-users] HDMI audio and video

William V quentusrex at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 21:42:59 UTC 2008

I'm trying to get audio and video over HDMI. I have an Asus p5e-vm
motherboard with integrated intel graphics and hdmi.

I'm using mythbuntu, but have also tried knoppmyth. Video works great
so far over the hdmi connection. Everything is automatically detected
and setup. The audio is the problem right now. I am able to unmute my
hdmi audio using alsamixer from the command line and this will cause
the video to stutter really bad, but I'll get a single frame of audio
every 5 seconds.

I'm using a Denon 2808 receiver and a BenQ 720p projector.

Here is are some command outputs:
root at cxs-desktop:/var/log# aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

root at cxs-desktop:/var/log# aplay -L
default:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC883 Analog
null

Thanks for the help, and all the great work you all have put into mythtv.