[mythtv-users] Analyzing Dell's New Hybrid Desktop as MythFronthend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jul 29 20:02:21 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 29 July 2008 13:38:15 Param Singh wrote:
> * Details -
> http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/desktop-studio-hyb
>rid
>
> {{ Price = $499 }}
>
> Specs
> _____________
>
> Intel(R) Pentium™ Dual Core T2390 (1.86GHz/533Mhz FSB/1MB cache)
> Genuine Windows Vista(R) Home Basic Service Pack 1
> No Monitor ( System comes with DVI & HDMI)
> 8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive)
> 1GB1 Shared DDR2 at 667MHz (1 DIMM)
> 160GB2 SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
> Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
> Integrated Stereo Audio with 5.1ch digital output (S/P DIF)
>

> Comments :-)

Sure would be nicer for $399 without "Vista Home Basic".

I wonder how it is even legal to prevent machines being sold without Windows.
Probably some contractual agreement with MS, but it really sucks.

Comparison to the Mac Mini is obvious, and I don't see a price advantage to
the Dell at this time.

Is there an empty DIMM slot? I can see that 1GB getting cramped if your video
memory is being cut out of it.

Any remote control capability?

beww