[mythtv-users] Problem viewing live tv and video/dvd

C.T. Paterson i.adore.my.64 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 20:28:56 UTC 2008

2008/7/28 Luke Guildner <luke.guildner at gmail.com>:
>   The install seems to go well, the tuner seems to be configured
> correctly, and I can scan and find all of the channels I expect to,
> with decent signal strength as well.  Though, when I try to view live
> T.V. I only get a frame or two, and then the video locks up.  I get a
> bit more sound, but after a few seconds, that begins to stutter to the
> point of not being able to understand anything at all.  I am unable to
> change channels or do anything other than exit back out of live T.V.

The behaviour you describe, from the video-side, is consistent to
problems I've had with insufficient video-processing power.   On that
score, I'd agree with the other recommendation, that you ensure you're
using the right drivers and such (I'd think your card should be okay).

To be honest, though, complaints about the audio cast a bit of doubt
on that for me, as does your mention that xine and kaffeine works
okay.

>   I guess I'll also note that I have just used the Mythtv version
> that either shipped with the OS (knoppmyth, Mythbuntu) or downloaded
> it from the packman repository on openSuse.  Do I need to compile the
> source code myself with specific  options set or something?  If you
> need any other info to be able to help me out, I will be more than
> happy to provide it.

You haven't said which version you're using, but I've used MythDora 4,
Mythbuntu 7.10, and (currently) Mythbuntu 8.04, and have never had to
do anything but a normal install.  I don't think you'll find a
solution by trying different distros (though it can't hurt to try).

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
 -- Thomas Paine