[mythtv-users] DVB-S channel scanning gets stuck

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 16:21:35 UTC 2008

On 28/07/2008, Ian Clark <mrrooster at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/7/28 Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>
> >

> > The connection of unauthorised equipment to their private network is
> > /at the minimum/ a breach of their terms and conditions.
> >

> But in all instances I've seen an adaptor has been added to convert the F
> connect for the STB to a standard UK tv arial, this has been done when the
> STB has been removed, so I doubt they'd be able to claim it's unauthorised,
> if they capped it off, or left it with just the F connector then I can see
> that could be argued, but in all the cable houses I've had when it's been
> left disconnected it's been left designed to be plugged into the back of the
> TV.
>
> It's also not a breach of their T+Cs if you've not signed up to anything.
>
> Does the telephony legislation cover this kind of network?
>
> Annoyingly, Virgin don't seem to have anything useful on their website
> realting to this, and like most big companies don't seem to offer and
> obvious 'contact us' page.
>
> Hmmmm

i) IANAL, so take this with a pinch of salt.

ii) As I understand things, VirginMedia own the network, and by
extension also the cable that comes into your/your landlord's
property, and you are not allowed to connect unauthorised equipment to
their cable network, whether or not you are a current VM subscriber.

iii) 'Because it is there' and 'because someone else has done it' are
not adequate legal defences (yet).

iv) The RF connectors are likely there because prevous subscribers
could receive analogue TV through the incoming cable, in addition to
their VM feeds which required decoding.

v) Their legal page recommends calling 0845 840 7777 if you have questions.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/