[mythtv-users] DVB-S channel scanning gets stuck

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 15:44:38 UTC 2008

2008/7/28 Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com>

> On 28/07/2008, Ian Clark <mrrooster at gmail.com> wrote:

> NTL
> > >
> > > Digressing slightly though, but isn't that technically known as
> "theft",
> >
> > I'd actually quite like to know, but I suspect not. What are you actually
> > stealing? They only provide 1 to 5, which are also available over the
> air.
> > If it was illegal then they'd make more effort to disconnect once the
> > previous occupants had left. I beleive they do it to encourage new
> > customers.
>
> The connection of unauthorised equipment to their private network is
> /at the minimum/ a breach of their terms and conditions.

But in all instances I've seen an adaptor has been added to convert the F
connect for the STB to a standard UK tv arial, this has been done when the
STB has been removed, so I doubt they'd be able to claim it's unauthorised,
if they capped it off, or left it with just the F connector then I can see
that could be argued, but in all the cable houses I've had when it's been
left disconnected it's been left designed to be plugged into the back of the
TV.

It's also not a breach of their T+Cs if you've not signed up to anything.

Does the telephony legislation cover this kind of network?

Annoyingly, Virgin don't seem to have anything useful on their website
realting to this, and like most big companies don't seem to offer and
obvious 'contact us' page.

Hmmmm

Ian