[mythtv-users] Screen corruption with fglrx X driver

David Gee david at allpowerfuldave.com
Sun Jul 27 20:24:48 UTC 2008

I have a rather interesting problem. I have been trying to get MythTV up
and running on my HTPC box. I have a Radeon HD 2600 Pro graphics card
which is connected to my TV via a DVI->HDMI adapter, and the display
runs full-screen at 1920x1080. I was initially trying to get MythTV to
work using the radeonhd graphics driver, however hardware acceleration
is not yet supported for this driver so watching live TV is essentially
impossible because all the rendering must be done by the CPU, so I gave
up on that idea.

Plan B was to use ATI's proprietary fglrx driver, which I managed to
install and get to work, complete with which means that 2D and 3D
hardware acceleration, so I was hoping that it would be straightforward
to get MythTV working. However, I found when I ran mythtv-setup, and
also later when I ran mythfrontend, that the display output gets
corrupted, as can be seen at
http://www.allpowerfuldave.com/mythtv_corruption.jpg. It's clear to see
that this is trying to be MythTV, there's just something not quite
right. If you take a screenshot, the screenshot is fine so MythTV is
drawing all the components correctly, so I surmise that there's
something going wrong between MythTV and fglrx, because the MythTV menus
displayed correctly when I went back to using the radeonhd driver.

Can anyone shed any light on what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance,
David