[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 8.04, LVM, pcHDTV-5500 (V4L) == Hang.

Francis Hartojo fhartojo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 01:58:38 UTC 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Were they XFS before you converted to LVM?

No.  Previously, my partitions were:

/boot on sda1 (ext3)
/ on sda3 (ext3)
/u01 on sda4 (xfs)
/u02 on sdb1 (xfs)

/u01 and /u02 were where I configured MythTV to store recordings,
videos, music, etc.

> I have (on a much older enterprise 2.6 kernel) seen an application cause a
> kernel deadlock in such a way that it would act like this if / and/or /var
> deadlocked this way.....if you can get it to deadlock with a tty screen up and
> get the sysrq keys to report various things you should be able to tell it was a
> deadlock.
>
> You might also see if you can keep a ssh session (or 2 or 3) open and see how
> good or bad it works when it happens again.

That was the plan (i.e., keep an SSH session up) last night.  Except
that my laptop decided to go to sleep and lost the connection.  By the
time I found out about it in the morning it's too late.  Darn Windows.
 (c:

Thanks for the responses.  So, is it particularly unstable to have
separate / and /var on xfs?  Would it help if I split it in to / and
/var/lib or / on ext3 and /var on xfs or even just have a single /
partition on xfs?  Though I'd rather not to, I can rebuild this system
if necessary.

Thanks again.
--
Francis