[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 8.04, LVM, pcHDTV-5500 (V4L) == Hang.

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 21:22:56 UTC 2008

Francis Hartojo wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Roger Heflin <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The sysrq keys are not useful if you are in X.
>>
>> You may want to try "ctl-alt-f1" and see if it will give you a prompt, if it
>> does I would expect you to not be able to login, then you can probably use the
>> sysrq keys if you have them properly turned on (on reboot I would try
>> "alt-sysrq-s" on a non-x login screen - it does a sync, and is harmless).
>
> Tried it.  Couldn't get a TTY screen either.  I'll check if the SysRq keys work.
>
>> If ssh works but does not give you a prompt usually that means that the disk
>> subsystem is having some sort of issue, typical ivtv and lvm bad interactions
>> would result in the machine crashing not a deadlock.
>>
>> Which filesystem is running, and which kernel version?
>
> /boot is ext3 on sda1.  / and /var are under LVM on XFS.

Were they XFS before you converted to LVM?

I have (on a much older enterprise 2.6 kernel) seen an application cause a
kernel deadlock in such a way that it would act like this if / and/or /var
deadlocked this way.....if you can get it to deadlock with a tty screen up and
get the sysrq keys to report various things you should be able to tell it was a
deadlock.

You might also see if you can keep a ssh session (or 2 or 3) open and see how
good or bad it works when it happens again.

                                     Roger