[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 8.04, LVM, pcHDTV-5500 (V4L) == Hang.

Josh jaw1959 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 02:18:11 UTC 2008

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 25, 2008, at 9:58 PM, "Francis Hartojo" <fhartojo at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Roger Heflin
> <rogerheflin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Were they XFS before you converted to LVM?
>
> No.  Previously, my partitions were:
>
> /boot on sda1 (ext3)
> / on sda3 (ext3)
> /u01 on sda4 (xfs)
> /u02 on sdb1 (xfs)
>
> /u01 and /u02 were where I configured MythTV to store recordings,
> videos, music, etc.
>
>> I have (on a much older enterprise 2.6 kernel) seen an application
>> cause a
>> kernel deadlock in such a way that it would act like this if / and/
>> or /var
>> deadlocked this way.....if you can get it to deadlock with a tty
>> screen up and
>> get the sysrq keys to report various things you should be able to
>> tell it was a
>> deadlock.
>>
>> You might also see if you can keep a ssh session (or 2 or 3) open
>> and see how
>> good or bad it works when it happens again.
>
> That was the plan (i.e., keep an SSH session up) last night.  Except
> that my laptop decided to go to sleep and lost the connection.  By the
> time I found out about it in the morning it's too late.  Darn Windows.
> (c:
>
> Thanks for the responses.  So, is it particularly unstable to have
> separate / and /var on xfs?  Would it help if I split it in to / and
> /var/lib or / on ext3 and /var on xfs or even just have a single /
> partition on xfs?

It's generally better to have / or at least. /var on a separate
physical drive from storage space.  Commercial flagging, recording,
and database writes all taking place on the same hardrive can be
trouble.  I set my machine like this by coincidence, but I've read
from others that it's a good practice.