[mythtv-users] Semi-OT: OTA, Comcast business HSI and the single coax

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 17:25:48 UTC 2008

Justin The Cynical wrote:
> Allen Edwards wrote:
>
>> If you want a four way on the Comcast, that implies to me that you want
>> to get TV on the cable, unless you have 4 data accounts and 4 cable
>> modems.  If you want data and TV from Comcast, combining with your OTA
>> is going to be impossible or very difficult.  I am happy to help, but at
>> this point I don't think I understand your goal.
>
> When I moved in, the previous owner had Comcast for 'net service.  I
> don't know about the television side, but I'm going to assume yes since
> all the bedrooms have jacks installed.
>
> Originally, the cable routing was:
>
> Comcast -> four way splitter
> Four way splitter -> each of the three bedrooms and the living room
>
> When I added the antenna for OTA, I replaced the Comcast drop with the
> antenna.  The two way splitter was added to shorten the cable length
> from the antenna to the Myth box in the living room.
>
> My goal is to get the data available in my room (where the machines
> currently are) and the living room (where the machines will be moved to
> in the near future) without having to drill more holes in my outside
> wall or mess with the currently working install.
>
> Right now, it seems the 'best' way to do this is remove the two way
> splitter, separating the antenna from the rest of the house coax, and
> add new coax to the mix for a 'Comcast jack' to the living room.  This
> would get a working 'data jack' in the bedroom and the living room.

I take it you have a house where there is really no other way than to go through
the outside walls?

How was the house lan that you mentioned ran?

If you have basement/crawlspace/attic access it is pretty simple, if you have
multi-level house or no basement/crawlspace/attic things get lots messier.

                                Roger