[mythtv-users] Semi-OT: OTA, Comcast business HSI and the single coax

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Fri Jul 25 04:02:09 UTC 2008

Allen Edwards wrote:

> If you want a four way on the Comcast, that implies to me that you want
> to get TV on the cable, unless you have 4 data accounts and 4 cable
> modems.  If you want data and TV from Comcast, combining with your OTA
> is going to be impossible or very difficult.  I am happy to help, but at
> this point I don't think I understand your goal.

When I moved in, the previous owner had Comcast for 'net service.  I
don't know about the television side, but I'm going to assume yes since
all the bedrooms have jacks installed.

Originally, the cable routing was:

Comcast -> four way splitter
Four way splitter -> each of the three bedrooms and the living room

When I added the antenna for OTA, I replaced the Comcast drop with the
antenna.  The two way splitter was added to shorten the cable length
from the antenna to the Myth box in the living room.

My goal is to get the data available in my room (where the machines
currently are) and the living room (where the machines will be moved to
in the near future) without having to drill more holes in my outside
wall or mess with the currently working install.

Right now, it seems the 'best' way to do this is remove the two way
splitter, separating the antenna from the rest of the house coax, and
add new coax to the mix for a 'Comcast jack' to the living room.  This
would get a working 'data jack' in the bedroom and the living room.