[mythtv-users] USB Harddrives

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 18:48:37 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:

> Actually a myBook.
>
> Anyway i started googling power issues with the MyBook and sure enough
> there are reports of this happening all over.  Apparently in Windows you
> load software the handles power management by turning it off and on when
> needed.  In linux there is not software so the hardware just turnes itself
> off after so long of no activity.

I had similar problems with my Seagate Freeagent Pro.  The solution I found
here:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/DealWithAutoSpinDownOnSeagateFreeAgent

worked OK.  I only had occasional spin down issues after setting
allow_restart to 1, but it still did happen.

Eventually I pulled the 750G drive out of the enclosure, put it in my new
desktop, and remote mounted it.  I gave the enclosure to my sister, who put
a 350G drive in it to use under windows.  We both ended up better for the
experience.

If there's no room in your current case, I'd suggest spending a minimal
amount to put together a second machine to serve as NAS.  Rip the drive out
of the enclosure and go from there.

--
Doug