[mythtv-users] USB Harddrives

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 16:08:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Mitch Gore <mitchell.gore at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could be its a WD iBook.
>
> Actually a myBook.
>
> Anyway i started googling power issues with the MyBook and sure enough there
> are reports of this happening all over.  Apparently in Windows you load
> software the handles power management by turning it off and on when needed.
> In linux there is not software so the hardware just turnes itself off after
> so long of no activity.
>
> as a temporary working (well permanent until something better comes along) i
> made a hourly cron job that mounts and umounts the drive.  hopefully this
> will keep the drive active enough to not goto sleep.
>
> Mitchell

Unmounting the drive while Myth is recording, or someone in the house
is playing a recording, sounds like a problem waiting to happen to me.
Couldn't you accomplish the same sort of thing by reading or writing a
file in your cron job? If it's time based why does it require a
unmount/mount operation?

- Mark