[mythtv-users] MythTV and BitTorrent?

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Fri Jul 18 16:35:54 UTC 2008

> Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:39:30 -0500
> From: Will <will at st0rage.org>

> I find it ridiculous that we've come to arguing over whether people should
> be able to bring ideas onto the mythtv-users mailing list.
>
> I don't see why we can't have a discussion about this without being
> interrupted by "This was brought up 2 years ago, nothing has or ever will
> change!".
>
> But that's my bad; I thought this list was for MythTV users to discuss
> things in.

This is an email list, not a public news group.   Email lists have owners.
 From a etiquette point of view, you are in the owner's living room when
holding discussions on the email list and so their wishes should be
respected in their home.   If you don't like the environment, find or make
another environment.  For example. you could form a Google Group.

This is the reality on all private email lists.   Some of them have few or
no restrictions, others are much more limited.   This one falls in a very
normal, average range for email lists.

To take the living room/home analogy a bit further.  The owner is throwing
an open house party.   You brought fireworks.   We acknowledge that you
can ignite them safely without causing any harm or fires, however, the
owner's neighbor is a grumpy old man with time on his hands and a bad
attitude and he'll call the cops on the party if he sees or hears any
fireworks.

Jeff Walther