[mythtv-users] EPG time data in germany - about 3 minutes at the end of each recording is lost

Lauri Tischler lwgt at iki.fi
Fri Jul 4 08:55:55 UTC 2008

Thorsten Barth wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using MythTV with DVB-S in germany (Astra 19.2E).
>
> But whatever I record, I am losing about 2-3 minutes of the end of each
> broadcast unless I tell MythTV to add some minutes to the end. But this
> is annoying and I am having trouble if I want to record multiple shows
> directly after each other, even if on the same channel.

Version 0.21 of Mythtv is supposed to fix that, at least that version
should be able to record multiple channels from same bouquet, about
overlapping recordings maybe not.

> Once, in analogue TV, there was a technique that transmitted a code as
> soon as a movie started... I think it was called VPS?! Is it really the
> case that today one must rely on time instead of having a live-signal
> that can tell mythTv how long the recording has to be? I consider this
> stone-age... Or did I miss something essential?

DVB has what is called 'running status', most providers dont send it
correctly, in Germany providers like ARD use VPS, AFAIK Mythtv does
not use VPS, OTOH VDR uses German VPS.