[mythtv-users] EPG time data in germany - about 3 minutes at the end of each recording is lost

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 09:09:16 UTC 2008

2008/7/4 Thorsten Barth <Thorsten.Barth at gmx.net>:

> Hi,
>
> I am using MythTV with DVB-S in germany (Astra 19.2E).
>
> But whatever I record, I am losing about 2-3 minutes of the end of each
> broadcast unless I tell MythTV to add some minutes to the end. But this
> is annoying and I am having trouble if I want to record multiple shows
> directly after each other, even if on the same channel.

0.21 has an option to record pass the end of a recording. I think it's in
the setup somewhere.

This is not the same as adding a few minutes onto the schedule, as it will
not record past the end if another recording is due to start on a different
channel.

It's in 'General' setting in the frontend...

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User_Manual:Detailed_configuration_Frontend#General_2

explains it better than I do. :)

> Is the EPG data not accurate? The clock in the PC is synchronized with
> an internet time server...
>
> Once, in analogue TV, there was a technique that transmitted a code as
> soon as a movie started... I think it was called VPS?! Is it really the
> case that today one must rely on time instead of having a live-signal
> that can tell mythTv how long the recording has to be? I consider this
> stone-age... Or did I miss something essential?

We used to have that in the UK too, it was called PDC (probably the same
thing.), really useful when used correctly, but most broadcasters,
especially commercial ones, seemed to flag the end of programmes about 2
minutes into the next one, which made back to back recordings on different
channels annoying.

Ian