[mythtv-users] Does this card do hardware mpeg2 encoding?

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Tue Jan 29 02:44:17 UTC 2008

Justin The Cynical wrote:
> Don Brett wrote:
>
>> I came across a cheap capture card - Sabrent Philips7130 PCI TV
>> Tuner/Video Capture Card w/Remote
>>
>> http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=TV-PCIRC&cm_mmc=geekmail-_-daily_html-_-22jan08_ISEE-_-ISEEproduct
>>
>> Does it do hardware encoding, or would I have to do something in
>> software?  Thanks,
>>

> Tough call.
>
> The geeks web site says it needs a P3 900, which screams software
> encoding to me.
>
> However, the sabrent web site says that it only needs a 366, which would
> be a hardware encoding card.  And of course, the model numbers match but
> the pictures show two different card designs.
>
> IF you were to get this card, I would assume that it's software encoding
> and plan accordingly for the setup.  That way if it is hardware
> encoding, it's a nice surprise and a bonus!  :-)
>
> However, for not much more (about 40), one can pick up 1st gen air2pc
> ATSC cards off of ebay that will more than likely work perfectly for
> you.  And with the oncoming switch to digital only, it might be worth
> grabbing a card now.  A beat-the-rush kind of thing IMO.
>
> I snagged one before they became popular, so it only cost me around 20.

I think I'll pass on this card.  If it's not hardware encoding, I don't
think I want it.  On the air2pc card, ebay seems to be sold out, so I'll
have to keep an eye out.

Actually, I have two MythTv boxes with Hauppage cards and they work
great.  But when I do an upgrade, I want to do it on a third box, get it
working, then swap out the entire box (my daughter freaks when I wreck
her working Myth system).  That's the only reason I was considering the
card.  Thanks for the advice,

Don