[mythtv-users] Can't add IVTV module options, it's in use?

Daniel Arfsten darfsten at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 13:53:25 UTC 2008

I know this is the mythtv-users mailing list and not the IVTV mailing list but I figured enough people have dealt with this in the past (I am hoping anyway).

I have a PVR-350 (MBE) and a PVR-500 (SBE). Both are showing errors in dmesg that are saying the following:
[869726.344563] ivtv0: Cause: the application is not reading fast enough.
[876921.044711] ivtv0: All encoder MPEG stream buffers are full. Dropping data.

I have DMA on for all hard drives and the PCI Latency set higher than 64 for all my IDE/SATA controllers so I have ruled those issues out.

I read on the PVR-350 wiki to add options to the IVTV module to solve this buffer full issue. I am running Ubuntu Feisty which is using Mythtv 20.2-fixes (i am pretty sure). I couldn't find a file within /etc/mythtv/modules/ivtv but I did find a file within /etc/modprobe.conf that has options for other modules in it like my serial irblaster and what not.

My questions are:
1. Is this the correct file to add the IVTV module options to? (/etc/modprobe.conf) That file looks like this right now (added ivtv options at bottom):
alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
options lirc_serial irq=3 io=0x2f8
install lirc_serial /bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none ;\
/sbin/modprobe --ignore-install lirc_serial
options ivtv yuv_buffers=32 mpg_buffers=16 vbi_buffers=16 pcm_buffers=16 dec_osd_buffers=2

2. When I follow the wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_PVR-350), I get  a warning stating that IVTV module is in use. I stopped mythtbackend before I tried to rmmod the ivtv module but it still complains it's in use.

3. Unrelated to that issue, I get some HD channels that are the same shows as Analog or Digital. Example: 24 and 524, they are both WCGV but the HD channel's callsign is WCGVDT, the xmltvid and freqid are different as well . So if I tell Mythweb to record a show with a certain title, it'll record both shows on both channels which I don't need. I don't even prefer one channel over the other since I am using S-Video out on the STB to S-video in on the PVR-350. You may ask me why I have both then, well because I have 2 Mythtv boxes, one only has a PVR-500 in it which COAX is directly connected so that Slave Backend can't get the 524 channel but the Master Backend can and I suppose sometimes I do prefer the HD format. I know it's downgraded through the S-video cable but it's still better none-the-less than the coax analog channels.

I suppose I could restart the machine (would that solve the ivtv module options getting used issue?) but it's been up for a long time running smooth. Any help would be much appreciated.

Daniel