[mythtv-users] CentOS 5.1 support

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sun Jan 27 21:27:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 22:20 -0800, Ian Forde wrote:
> Fair point, but because this is a driver that's already in the kernel
> creating a kmdl would be, in effect, forking the code.  If upstream
> changes the code, then the fork is quite real.  I'm thinking that the
> "right thing to do" would be to report it to CentOS or Red Hat... that
> would get more traction than trying to get it into the kernel myself.
> Or maybe I should report it to the driver maintainer...

Okay - I just added to bugid 429652 in Red Hat's bugzilla, including
submitting a patch (my first kernel patch - I'm so proud...)

I've also emailed the maintainer for how to get it included upstream...

> <Ian switches to another window to look that up...>
> Or maybe Ian should have read the kernel docs and read the part in
> Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt that mentions specifying the product
> and vendor ids on the insmod line (or in modprobe.conf)...
> I feel like such a moron... ;)

I no longer feel like a moron. ;)  I tried the generic driver - doesn't
work for me.  So it's back to plan A: get it fixed upstream...

> Good news is that I need to update kernel on that box this weekend -
> it'll give me a chance to fix it propery... I like the idea of
> specifying the prod id - no need (in this case) to play chase-the-vendor
> on the kernel-maintainer's part... ;)

Unfortunately, in this case it'll be needed... I'm hoping that this
patch will make it into the next kernel rev at some point.  Until then,
I think I'll be rebuilding kernels... Now correct me if I'm wrong, but
since this module is already in the mainline kernel, in order to get a
kmdl with my issue addressed, wouldn't the proper mechanism be:

1. Get it in the mainline kernel via a patch
2. Submit the diff to you for a kmdl

Try to get it in the CentOS Plus kernel

Try to get it in the Red Hat kernel

The shotgun approach, submitting it to mainline, RH, CentOS Plus, and
you, and seeing who responds first? ;)

Okay - that last one was a joke... but I'm not convinced that a kmdl is
the way to go on this one, unlike in the case of something like XFS,
which Red Hat will *not* ship in RHEL...