[mythtv-users] CentOS 5.1 support

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sat Jan 26 06:20:49 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 19:50 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 03:36:47PM -0800, Ian Forde wrote:
> > Ironically enough, I just remembered.  I don't run the stock kernel - I
> > have to rebuild the stock kernel each time there's a new rev released
> > because I use a USB-to-serial adapter that isn't supported in the kernel
> > yet, so I have to patch my kernel... one of these days I'll have to
> > report it upstream... <sigh>... ;)
>
> Or maybe this is something that can be kmdlized? If maintaining this
> as a kmdl at ATrpms is the same work for you as rebuilding kernels
> then you can be offering this work to the community w/o adding more
> workload :)

Fair point, but because this is a driver that's already in the kernel
creating a kmdl would be, in effect, forking the code.  If upstream
changes the code, then the fork is quite real.  I'm thinking that the
"right thing to do" would be to report it to CentOS or Red Hat... that
would get more traction than trying to get it into the kernel myself.
Or maybe I should report it to the driver maintainer...

<Ian switches to another window to look that up...>

Or maybe Ian should have read the kernel docs and read the part in
Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt that mentions specifying the product
and vendor ids on the insmod line (or in modprobe.conf)...

I feel like such a moron... ;)

Good news is that I need to update kernel on that box this weekend -
it'll give me a chance to fix it propery... I like the idea of
specifying the prod id - no need (in this case) to play chase-the-vendor
on the kernel-maintainer's part... ;)

I'll let you know what happens... Thanks for the well-needed kick Axel!
If you're ever in SF, I'll buy you a beer...

	-I