[mythtv-users] CentOS 5.1 support

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Jan 27 23:20:58 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 01:27:16PM -0800, Ian Forde wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 22:20 -0800, Ian Forde wrote:
> > Fair point, but because this is a driver that's already in the kernel
> > creating a kmdl would be, in effect, forking the code.  If upstream
> > changes the code, then the fork is quite real.  I'm thinking that the
> > "right thing to do" would be to report it to CentOS or Red Hat... that
> > would get more traction than trying to get it into the kernel myself.
> > Or maybe I should report it to the driver maintainer...
>
> Okay - I just added to bugid 429652 in Red Hat's bugzilla, including
> submitting a patch (my first kernel patch - I'm so proud...)
>
> I've also emailed the maintainer for how to get it included upstream...
>
> > <Ian switches to another window to look that up...>
> >
> > Or maybe Ian should have read the kernel docs and read the part in
> > Documentation/usb/usb-serial.txt that mentions specifying the product
> > and vendor ids on the insmod line (or in modprobe.conf)...
> >
> > I feel like such a moron... ;)
>
> I no longer feel like a moron. ;)  I tried the generic driver - doesn't
> work for me.  So it's back to plan A: get it fixed upstream...
>
> > Good news is that I need to update kernel on that box this weekend -
> > it'll give me a chance to fix it propery... I like the idea of
> > specifying the prod id - no need (in this case) to play chase-the-vendor
> > on the kernel-maintainer's part... ;)
>
> Unfortunately, in this case it'll be needed... I'm hoping that this
> patch will make it into the next kernel rev at some point.  Until then,
> I think I'll be rebuilding kernels... Now correct me if I'm wrong, but
> since this module is already in the mainline kernel, in order to get a
> kmdl with my issue addressed, wouldn't the proper mechanism be:
>
> 1. Get it in the mainline kernel via a patch
> 2. Submit the diff to you for a kmdl

Actually a kmdl is a full source thing. E.g. one needs to have proper
sources of the modules possibly including also patches in the src.rpm.

> Or:
>
> Try to get it in the CentOS Plus kernel
>
> Or:
>
> Try to get it in the Red Hat kernel
>
> Or:
>
> The shotgun approach, submitting it to mainline, RH, CentOS Plus, and
> you, and seeing who responds first? ;)
>
> Okay - that last one was a joke... but I'm not convinced that a kmdl is
> the way to go on this one, unlike in the case of something like XFS,
> which Red Hat will *not* ship in RHEL...

If there is no real business value on the enterprise level this patch
will only make it into RHEL via upstream, and since RHEL5 will stay at
2.6.18 & enterprise patches, the fix could have to wait until RHEL6.

I think the best chances of a fast adoption are with CentOS plus
submission. kmdls would work, too, but not as fast as patching the
CentOS kernel.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net