[mythtv-users] TV Out quality (S-Video) on Epia M1000

Stephen Dolan stephen.dolan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 11:59:37 UTC 2008

On 21/01/2008, Michael J. Hammel <mythtv at graphics-muse.com> wrote:
> I've finally finished (sans IR receiver, which is TBD) my custom myth
> box front end based on an EPIA M-10000 and it works great - over 802.11g
> to the backend no less - with a VGA monitor.  But when I plug the TV Out
> into the TV (S-Video connection) the colors are horrid and the font
> quality is terrible.
> The colors are fine (roughly) on the bottom half of the screen but as
> you go higher up the colors get bad, almost inverted though not quite
> that bad.
> The fonts are just really hard to read.  This may be a configurable item
> in the MythTV setup - I'll play with that some more.  I've already
> increased the font sizes once but maybe I need to do it more.
> I found this post related to the M10000:
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2004-January/025832.html
> That guy added a PVR350 card to his motherboard, which I'd rather not do
> unless I have to.  After all, one of the reasons for using the Epia
> board was the built in MPEG decoding and TV out.
> Is there anything related to signal quality of the S-Video that I should
> be aware of?  Should the cable be shieled in some way from the power
> cables or something?
> I've noticed that the video quality of my Acer Aspire 1691 S-Video
> output is much better (though not ideal), so I'm wondering if this is
> strictly a poor TV out hardware problem on the EPIA board.
> Other than that, MythTV itself is working terrific.
> If anyone has any pointers on this problem, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

I run MythTV on an M10000 and S-video out with excellent results. What mode
do you use in your xorg.conf file? Running in native TV resolution might

For what its worth here's an excerpt from my xorg.conf:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "VideocardViaTv"
        Driver      "via"
        VendorName  "Via"
        BoardName   "cle266"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
        Option      "TVType" "PAL"
        Option      "TVOutput" "S-Video"
        Option      "EnableAGPDMA" "true"

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "VideocardViaTv"
        Monitor    "MonitorTv"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "720x576Noscale"

If you're in the US, I guess you should use "720x480Noscale". There's some
more information here:
Hope this helps.