[mythtv-users] TV Out quality (S-Video) on Epia M1000

Michael J. Hammel mythtv at graphics-muse.com
Mon Jan 21 03:18:29 UTC 2008

I've finally finished (sans IR receiver, which is TBD) my custom myth
box front end based on an EPIA M-10000 and it works great - over 802.11g
to the backend no less - with a VGA monitor.  But when I plug the TV Out
into the TV (S-Video connection) the colors are horrid and the font
quality is terrible.

The colors are fine (roughly) on the bottom half of the screen but as
you go higher up the colors get bad, almost inverted though not quite
that bad.

The fonts are just really hard to read.  This may be a configurable item
in the MythTV setup - I'll play with that some more.  I've already
increased the font sizes once but maybe I need to do it more.

I found this post related to the M10000:
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2004-January/025832.html

That guy added a PVR350 card to his motherboard, which I'd rather not do
unless I have to.  After all, one of the reasons for using the Epia
board was the built in MPEG decoding and TV out.

Is there anything related to signal quality of the S-Video that I should
be aware of?  Should the cable be shieled in some way from the power
cables or something?

I've noticed that the video quality of my Acer Aspire 1691 S-Video
output is much better (though not ideal), so I'm wondering if this is
strictly a poor TV out hardware problem on the EPIA board.

Other than that, MythTV itself is working terrific.

If anyone has any pointers on this problem, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks.

--
Michael J. Hammel <mythtv at graphics-muse.com>