[mythtv-users] MythTV - Video Distribution Solution?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Jan 14 19:47:31 UTC 2008

jedi at mishnet.org wrote:

> With education, it's hard to judge. Although you can't go wrong
> consulting an actual attorney about this sort of thing...

While that sounds reasonable, my experience has been that very few
attorneys know much about copyright issues, though they may well be able
to bone up on the subject.

You are likely to get a "safe" answer from an attorney. He/She will tell
you to not do something simply to avoid potential problems, not
necessarily real ones, even though your contemplated action might in
fact be perfectly legal. In the case mentioned his job is to keep the
school district out of trouble, not help you get your project working.

In any case, all an attorney can give you is an opinion, unless he can
find very similar cases to cite, and you can almost always find an
attorney with an opposite opinion if you look hard enough.

beww