[mythtv-users] Multithreaded? Duo vs Quad?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 22:02:26 UTC 2008

> Ok, so I'm buying the Shuttle SG33G5 for my first MythTV box and it has a
> Socket 775.  I'm going with an Intel Core 2 processor, but I have one big
> decision to make...  Quad 2.4 vs Duo 3.0.  I can find a Quad 2.4GHz for $289
> and a Duo 3.0GHz for $299.  How multithreaded is MythTV?
Very limited. I have been using dual processors with mythtv for 4
years and unless I transcode two files at the same time I do not see
myth using the second processor very much. And even in this case you
will get limited use of both cores because this is a heavily io bound
problem.

> Will the extra $10
> for the Quad Core be worth the money (and the tradeoff to 2.4GHz)?  Also, I
> can get the Quad for $259 and the Duo for $279 in OEM versions (without the
> retail box and fan).  I've been told that the Shuttle can be a little louder
> than advertised, so I suspect that I will benefit from an aftermarket fan
> rather than the one included in the box, so if anyone has experience of
> thoughts on getting an OEM vs a Retail, I'd love to hear it.
>
> Side note, is it worth it for me to get either of these processors or should
> I drop down to 2.66 or 2.33 Duo and save $100?

I think you are going way to high end for the processor but that is
just me. I could easily build an entire new dual core mythtv system
for less than $400 for everything with the case probably being the
most expensive item..

John