[mythtv-users] MythTV as a Gift (Hardware Recommendations)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jan 11 00:37:01 UTC 2008

Michael Nguyen wrote:

> This might sound strange, but I haven't owned a TV since 1994 so this is
> a particularly hard gift for me to judge.  I take it you want more than
> one tuner so you can record with one and watch with another?

That's one reason, and of course with more tuners you can record more
programs at the same time.

Another reason is PiP, requiring a second tuner.

Also, you might have multiple sources, for example if you have cable and
a satellite receiver you probably want a separate tuner for each.

My first Myth box had 4 tuners. I found I never used more than 3 at
once, and that very rarely. I needed a minimum of 2 as I had the cable
satellite situation.

>  Would I
> want two HVR-1600s?  Is this even the right brand I should be going for?

I haven't used a 1600, but I have been happy with anything marketed by
Hauppauge I have purchased.

beww