[mythtv-users] Does MythTV support HD video and media libraries

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Tue Dec 30 21:33:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> More cores does help when you do are commercial flagging or
> transcoding video. Set your maximum number of jobs to the number of
> cores you have if you're using VDPAU to offload video playback to your
> GPU, otherwise set your max jobs to one less than the number of cores
> you have. This way you maintain a core for video playback and a core
> for each job you're processing. Now you won't have stuttering video
> playback when commflagging/transcoding or whatever else you have your
> box doing.

That is true. I was referring to playback issues only. Once I move
Myth itself to VDPAU, I'll start allowing the FE machines to handle
jobs like comflagging. It won't happen until it's a stable release
that supports VDPAU though, as I don't want to track Myth trunk and
mplayer patches. Right now, I make the fileserver deal with it, but
it's not very nice to the server. :)