[mythtv-users] Does MythTV support HD video and media libraries

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Dec 30 21:27:41 UTC 2008

On Dec 30, 2008, at 1:18 PM, Travis Tabbal wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Igor Chudov <igor at chudov.com> wrote:
>>
>> I would rather get a bigger CPU, I think.
>
> OK Then. The faster the better really, minimum 3Ghz clock, dual core
> preferred. More cores doesn't really help, as most of the work will be
> done by a single core due to the way many h264 files are encoded.

More cores does help when you do are commercial flagging or
transcoding video. Set your maximum number of jobs to the number of
cores you have if you're using VDPAU to offload video playback to your
GPU, otherwise set your max jobs to one less than the number of cores
you have. This way you maintain a core for video playback and a core
for each job you're processing. Now you won't have stuttering video
playback when commflagging/transcoding or whatever else you have your
box doing.

-Brad