[mythtv-users] Does MythTV support HD video and media libraries

jarpublic at gmail.com jarpublic at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 21:33:07 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 4:07 PM, Igor Chudov <igor at chudov.com> wrote:

> > > Sorry, what is OTA?
> >
> > Over the Air. Antenna. The best HD available short of Blu-Ray. I use
> > it with an HDHomeRun network based tuner.
>
> Sounds interesting. What sort of choice of channels do I get?
> Any URLs?
>
> I have to confess that personally, I am not a TV person and do not
> watch TV. Which may sound strange, coming from a guy asking questions
> on this mailing list.
>
> But, I was hoping that I could set up something like that would
> finally be convenient enough so that I would start watching TV. (like
> recording shows etc). and that could be used by my family.

If you don't watch much TV anyway, it sounds like the OTA channels may be a
good starting point for you then. It is free and it has the highest quality
HD TV you can get. Which OTA channels are available depends on where you
live. Assuming you are in the US most places can receive all of the local
broadcast stations (e.g. ABC, NBC, FOX, etc.). Check out
http://tvfool.com/for information on what channels will be available
where you live, and what
kind of antenna you may need. Make sure you check the option to see if some
of the channels move from UHF to VHF after the Feb transition, because they
may effect what antenna is needed. Many people can get away with a very
small cheap indoor antenna if you are close enough. The other benefit is
that there are a lot of tuner cards available. This has come up on the list
a lot recently so search the archives for info about what ATSC cards have
been recommended. You can also check the wiki:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:HDTV_capture_cards.