[mythtv-users] Mytharchive errors

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Thu Dec 11 17:14:32 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 10 December 2008 09:29:36 pm Harry Devine wrote:
> Rod Smith wrote:
> > On Tuesday 09 December 2008 06:57:53 pm Harry Devine wrote:
> >
> > I don't see why that would help. My understanding is that MythTV uses
> > mythtranscode to do the transcode jobs you do from the GUI or schedule to
> > run automatically, so if mythtranscode created a corrupted recording,
> > running it again isn't likely to help unless you understand HOW your
> > recording is corrupted and HOW mythtranscode will fix it. Those are two
> > things that you clearly don't understand. (Again, this isn't a
> > criticism.)
>
> If it were corrupted, then I wouldn't be able to play it then, right? I
> can play it fine.  I just can't seem to get it to archive.

Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes one player or transcoder has problems with a file
while another one doesn't.

> I've been
> using "Create DVD" in Mytharchive.  Would "Create Native Archive" be
> better?  Just curious as I don't know what "Create Native Archive" does.

A native archive is the MythTV files dumped to DVD along with their associated
database entries. This enables restoration of the files to the same or
another MythTV system in their original form. This is fine if you want to
play them back on another MythTV system (or maybe even another non-MythTV
computer), but it's useless if you want to play it back on a conventional DVD
player.

> Is there a better way to convert from nuv to mpeg2?

For *ME*, the script I wrote (and that you've got), which uses mencoder, does
a better job than MythArchive's transcoding. I can't promise it'll work
better for you, though; there are just too many variables at play to be sure
what'll work best.

--
Rod Smith