[mythtv-users] Mytharchive errors

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 12 02:20:56 UTC 2008

Rod Smith wrote:
> For *ME*, the script I wrote (and that you've got), which uses mencoder, does
> a better job than MythArchive's transcoding. I can't promise it'll work
> better for you, though; there are just too many variables at play to be sure
> what'll work best.

I finally go around to trying your script.  I had to go and download
midentify, rename it from midentify.sh to midentify and make it 555.
After I run the script and answer the questions, I get "Error parsing
option on the command line: -o".  Here's the output (I may have answered
some questions wrong, just based on my own lack of understanding or just
flat-out guessing!):

hdevine at hdevine-desktop:/usr/bin$ sudo mytranscode
Transcode script. Input file is  and output file is

Please enter original file's width: 480
Please enter original file's height: 480
You may specify a bitrate directly or by setting a target file size.
Please type D to enter a bitrate directly or S to enter a file size: d

What output bitrate do you want to use? (3000000 yields 1GB files for
45-minute recordings.)
Please enter a bitrate: 3000000

Do you want to perform a 1- or 2-pass transcode (1 or 2)? 1

What is the original file's aspect ratio?
  1) 4:3
  2) 16:9
Please enter 1 or 2: 1
Setting original aspect ratio to 4:3

Do you want to crop a letterboxed video to 16:9 format (Y/N)? N

Which final video image size do you want?
  1) 720x480
  2) 704x480
  3) 352x480
  4) 352x240
Please enter 1, 2, 3, or 4: 1
Will scale video to 720:480

The midentify program has identified the following audio tracks:

Please enter a number, or press the <Enter> key alone to have the
program use the default number:
audio input option is ''

How do you want to process audio?
  1) Copy original audio track unmodified
  2) Convert original audio track to 2-channel AC3
  3) Convert original audio track to 2-channel AC3 and reverse L/R tracks
  4) Convert original audio track to 5.0-channel AC3
  5) Convert original audio track to 5.0-channel AC3 and reverse L/R tracks
  6) Convert original audio track to 1-channel (mono) AC3
Please enter 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6: 1

Enter audio delay in seconds: 0

Performing single-pass transcode
MEncoder 2:1.0~rc2-0ubuntu17+medibuntu1 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+ (Family: 15, Model:
107, Stepping: 2)
CPUflags: Type: 15 MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
Compiled with runtime CPU detection.
Error parsing option on the command line: -o

Exiting... (error parsing command line)

Any ideas?
Harry