[mythtv-users] Mytharchive errors

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 11 02:29:36 UTC 2008

Rod Smith wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 December 2008 06:57:53 pm Harry Devine wrote:
>
> I don't see why that would help. My understanding is that MythTV uses
> mythtranscode to do the transcode jobs you do from the GUI or schedule to run
> automatically, so if mythtranscode created a corrupted recording, running it
> again isn't likely to help unless you understand HOW your recording is
> corrupted and HOW mythtranscode will fix it. Those are two things that you
> clearly don't understand. (Again, this isn't a criticism.)

If it were corrupted, then I wouldn't be able to play it then, right?  I
can play it fine.  I just can't seem to get it to archive.  I've been
using "Create DVD" in Mytharchive.  Would "Create Native Archive" be
better?  Just curious as I don't know what "Create Native Archive" does.
> Once again, transcoding shouldn't take such a long time, no matter what tool
> you're using. For a point of reference, my Myth box has a 3GHz Intel
> Celeron-D, and it typically takes about half the program's run time to
> transcode an SD recording, or about twice the program's run time to transcode
> an HD recording to an SD resolution. These are very rough estimates, since
> the details vary with the recording size. You should scale to your CPU's
> speed to get an estimate for your system, and of course apply that to your
> recording time.
>
> Speaking of the recording size, though, another poster pointed out to you that
> at least some tools are reporting that you've got a ~24-hour recording.
> Assuming this is in error, then your recording file is probably corrupted in
> some way, and this corruption could be interfering with your transcoding
> efforts. Even if it's not correct, 30 minutes is roughly 2% of 24 hours, so
> you'd expect to see the progress indicator move off of the 0% mark in that
> time -- at least, assuming your computer is faster than an Apple II!

I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+ processor, so I think it's just a tad
faster than the Apple II! :-)  Is there a better way to convert from nuv
to mpeg2?

Thanks,
Harry