[mythtv-users] New combined backend / dual frontend (analog / HDTV)

John Andrunas john at andrunas.net
Wed Dec 10 19:16:15 UTC 2008

I for one have never been able to get acceptable results with XvMC, so I
generally don't factor it into my purchasing equation.  Then again with AMD
X2 6000+'s you ought to be in pretty good shape even without XvMC, I believe
VDPAU is still a little on the early side unless you don't mind having some
issues (and coresponding reduction in WAF)

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Tony Caola <Tony at foodsavvy.com> wrote:

> I'm planning on building a new MythTV backend / dual frontend (with analog
> composite and HDMI  (~720p) outputs), and am planning on taking the
> following approach to my build:
>
> For HDMI output & motherboard:  I'm looking at buying an NVidia GeForce
> 7050PV-based AMD motherboard.  I selected the 7050PV because it has
> integrated HDMI and supports XvMC, according to both the MythTV.org Wiki and
> the latest nvidia driver's readme.  I'm hoping to offload some MPEG
> processing to the motherboard.
>
> For my composite analog output:  I'm planning on buying a cheap-o GeForce
> 6600-based video card, since it, too, supports XvMC.  More offloading.
>
> I'll put these together with an AMD X2 6000+ and have a nice system that
> can suit the need without being overtaxed.
>
> Because of the VDPAU announcement, I would love to go with the newer
> GeForce 8200/8300-based motherboards – or even stay with an Intel CPU and go
> with a GeForce 9400/9300-based motherboard.  But I worry that my Distro of
> choice (CentOS) will be a pain or almost impossible to set up on these
> motherboards.  I'm good with kernel builds from scratch. . . but that
> doesn't mean I need to like it or plan for it!
>
> Any comments on my logic?  I appreciate it!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tony

John