[mythtv-users] New combined backend / dual frontend (analog / HDTV)

Tony Caola Tony at foodsavvy.com
Wed Dec 10 18:55:57 UTC 2008

I’m planning on building a new MythTV backend / dual
frontend (with analog composite and HDMI  (~720p) outputs), and am planning on taking
the following approach to my build:
For HDMI output & motherboard:  I’m looking at buying an NVidia GeForce 7050PV-based
AMD motherboard.  I selected the 7050PV
because it has integrated HDMI and supports XvMC, according to both the
MythTV.org Wiki and the latest nvidia driver’s readme.  I’m hoping to offload some MPEG processing to
the motherboard.
For my composite analog output:  I’m planning on buying a cheap-o GeForce 6600-based
video card, since it, too, supports XvMC.
More offloading.

I’ll put these together with an AMD X2 6000+ and have a nice
system that can suit the need without being overtaxed.

Because of the VDPAU announcement, I would love to go with
the newer GeForce 8200/8300-based motherboards – or even stay with an Intel CPU
and go with a GeForce 9400/9300-based motherboard.  But I worry that my Distro of choice (CentOS)
will be a pain or almost impossible to set up on these motherboards.  I’m good with kernel builds from scratch. . .
but that doesn’t mean I need to like it or plan for it!
Any comments on my logic?  I appreciate it!
Thanks,

Tony