[mythtv-users] Dolby Digital Signal indicator on Receiver

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Mon Apr 21 06:22:47 UTC 2008

> [...]
>
>>Audio output device = ALSA:cards.pcm.iec958
>>Passthrough outputdevice = Alsa:iec958:{AES0 0x02}
>>Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough check
>>Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough check
>>Now everything works fine.
>>I mentioned earlier that I thought I would have to convert the sampling
>>rate for the recordings and music but then realized after reading "ALSA
>>by default will upsample all of your audio to 48Khz" on the website,
>>that the sample rate conversion was not my problem. Setting the above
>> parameters was the solution.
>
>>I went ahead and added the iecset command to rc.local to make sure it
>> gets set whenever the system starts up:
>
>>/etc/rc.local
>
>>iecset audio 0
>

> Dex:
>
> I'm having the same problem.  I have looked at your solution (and the
> link you gave), but I still need to toggle the "iecset audio" parameter
> manually.  With it at 0, I get full 5.1 sound with HDTV programs and
> movies (I'm still trying to tweak my DVD settings, as I'm using Xine as
> the DVD player).  However, I can't play music (Mythmusic or Amarok) or
> get audio from my STB or analog tuners (pcHDTV 5500) unless I set it
> back to 1.
>
> Here are my settings:
>
> Audio output device = /dev/adsp
> Passthrough outputdevice = Alsa:iec958:{AES0 0x02}
> Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough check
> Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough check
>
> For the output device, "dev/adsp" is the only one that works.
> "Cards.pcm.iec958" doesn't exist on my system.  Aplay -L gives me:
>
> [root at vader: ~]$ aplay -L
> front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
>     Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
>     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
>     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
>     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
>     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
>     7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
> null
>     Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
>
> and aplay -l gives me:
>
> [root at vader: ~]$ aplay -l
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital]
>   Subdevices: 0/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>

> So...could you (or anyone) give me a clue as to what my settings should
> be to send everything through the S/PDIF port?

A clarification:

With these settings:

 Audio output device = /dev/adsp
 Passthrough outputdevice = Alsa:iec958:{AES0 0x02}
 Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough check
 Enable DTS to SPDIF passthrough check
 iecset audio 0

Frequently, if I play an "analog" (e.g., recording made from the STB, or
analog live TV) FIRST, then I get sound.  However, if I then play a
recording with AC3/5.1 sound (which always works and sounds great, with
all of the speakers lit up on my receiver), then try to go back and play
an "analog" source -> no sound.  Going back to an AC3 source works but I
no longer have any analog sound.

Can someone clue me in as to how to solve this?

Thanks in advance - Bob