[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Sep 29 15:27:43 UTC 2007

On 09/29/2007 12:59 AM, osma ahvenlampi wrote:
> After all that bitching about the system I felt I had to dig in again
> and see what I can do to fix it. I still don't get what the query does
> and I'm pretty sure it really doesn't need to run that often. But I
> did find out that in some upgrade or another months ago
> mythfilldatabase had stopped running regularly on my machine. It's not
> detectable by a user, since the program data comes off the air anyway.
> It did mean, however, that cleanup wasn't being made to the program
> info tables, and they were unnecessarily huge.
>
> Saying this I'm convinced the issue will be filed to the "stupid user
> didn't do what documentation says" bin instead of to the "perhaps the
> system really might benefit from being a bit smarter" queue where
> someone who really doesn't want to spend all his free time tweaking a
> television might hope it to be.

On the bright side, the system was made a bit smarter for 0.21.  In the
next release, EIT only/No grabber users will no longer have to run
mythfilldatabase.  All the cleanup functionality was moved to the
backend and is run automatically.  Therefore, the database will remain
small and spry as long as you run MythTV--meaning even long-running
queries will execute much more quickly than they would on a "dirty"
database.

>  I realize fully well that this is the
> price *I* pay for a free, functional (as I said in the beginning!)
> DVR, but I would like to pay some other price that didn't consist of
> primarily frustration and offered the community some sort of benefit.
> Such as: I have the technical skills to write a patch to this, but I
> have absolutely no clue where to start looking for what to do about
> it, and can't invest the time to fully understand the internals of
> MythTV scheduling. How can I contribute?

As for fixing the mythfilldatabase not running/database getting lots of
old garbage without mfdb running, that's already fixed.

Mike