[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

osma ahvenlampi oa at iki.fi
Sat Sep 29 19:00:46 UTC 2007

On 9/29/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On the bright side, the system was made a bit smarter for 0.21.  In the
> next release, EIT only/No grabber users will no longer have to run
> mythfilldatabase.  All the cleanup functionality was moved to the
> backend and is run automatically.  Therefore, the database will remain
> small and spry as long as you run MythTV--meaning even long-running
> queries will execute much more quickly than they would on a "dirty"
> database.

Hey, that's good to hear. Then it's just a question of waiting another
year for a new release.

I looked back through the history of MythTV release all the way to
0.10. The timeline is pretty telling.. from 1.5-2 months between
releases to 4-5, then 10 to 0.19, 7 to 0.20, and nearly 12 to 0.20.2.

Number of tickets per release is also on the rise, 20% more in 0.20
compared to 0.19, 26% more (by now!) until 0.21.

This would really deserve a bit more analysis wrt speed of tickets
being opened, etc, but my experience is that a situation like this is
a very efficient project-killer. I'm a bit worried, really.

--
Osma Ahvenlampi   <oa at iki.fi>       http://www.fishpool.org