[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Sep 26 09:36:03 UTC 2007

Brett Kosinski wrote:

> Um... huh?  How is, say, a standardized location for configuration files
> and their formats, along with an API to ease the construction and
> maintenance of said files, any different than what we have now, aside
> from making things sane and consistent?
>
> Besides, I'd love to hear how /etc solves these "concurrency and access
> control issues" which you allude to.

Because each app that wants to read/update it's config just opens a single file
(or group of files under a dedicated catalog) instead of contending for the same
resource, i.e. the registry hive that's got everything in it. Every app has a
different file, so no concurrency arises.

Further, each text file in /etc is human-readable, and reasonably easy to find,
which means easy to fix when something screws up or dies halfway. Windows
registry? Take a morning, and some scanning tools, and you might find the right
reference to your problem. Then you have to guess the name of the parameter to
fix it, and the value, and the type of value even, required to fix the problem.
That assumes the registry is readable, of course. Been there, done that, glad I
don't have to any more.

Mike Perkins