[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 12:25:54 UTC 2007

On 9/26/07, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> Brett Kosinski wrote:
> >
> > Um... huh?  How is, say, a standardized location for configuration files
> > and their formats, along with an API to ease the construction and
> > maintenance of said files, any different than what we have now, aside
> > from making things sane and consistent?
> >
> > Besides, I'd love to hear how /etc solves these "concurrency and access
> > control issues" which you allude to.
> >
> Because each app that wants to read/update it's config just opens a single
> file
> (or group of files under a dedicated catalog) instead of contending for
> the same
> resource, i.e. the registry hive that's got everything in it. Every app
> has a
> different file, so no concurrency arises.

What part of "standardized location for configuration files and their
formats, along with an API to ease the construction..." don't you
understand?  I explicitly reject the centralized database model that
Microsoft has chosen, instead opting to represent the same data in the
filesystem itself, much as we do now, only with a proscribed directory
structure and file format.

Think about it.  The registry is what?  A hierarchical arrangement of
key-value pairs, essentially.  There is *nothing* about that model that
can't be represented in the filesystem itself.

Further, each text file in /etc is human-readable, and reasonably easy to
> find,

Again, apparently you didn't read what I wrote.  This is precisely how
things would work if I had my way, just like today.  It's all theoretical,
of course, but... :)

Personally, I think you're still mistaking the concept of a "centralized
configuration repository" with the Windows registry.  The latter is an
exceedingly poor an implementation of the former.  The former, however, is
not a fundamentally bad idea, if done right.  Which was my point at the

Now, shall we move on to counting the number of angels that can dance on the
head of a pin? ;)