[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Sep 23 23:40:07 UTC 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 12:00:23AM +0200, lionel dybowski wrote:
> Went back to expensive os named by a reference to an house opening to
> the outside, you know, lik winXXXX. Tested Sesame TV. All was set within
> 2 hours.... timeshift, recorder, xml grabber, videos, music, internet
> radio, dvd and link to external programs. Remote setup was a matter of
> copy and maste directly from mozila to remote.ini...
>
> It is a shame that linux systems are still so diffuclt to set when it
> comes to tricky hardware issues. Software installation is still too
> difficult for common people, because of dependencies, complex software
> architecture, repositories availability.

TVout was a snap on my latest install.  Sapphire Radeon 9600; ATI
drivers; Xorg 7.1.99 from SuSe 10.2; one minor hack which someone was
kind enough to post on the wiki to overcome a bug in the proprietary
driver.

> Linux is and will always remain for the computer litterate people. No
> matter how sick we are of that thing named winXXXX..... , it does make
> our life easyer that the promising linux based systems...

Yeah; you have fun with that.  Let me know how much time and money (at
whatever rate you feel your worth) you expend on virus scans, reboots,
reinstalls, spyware scanning, and the like in the next year, while I
don't touch my Mythbox at all.

(Sorry folks; that's not advocacy; that's being tired of people
contrasting Myth with strawmen...)

Cheers,
-- jra