[mythtv-users] On the verge of giving up

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Sep 23 23:46:43 UTC 2007

Jay R. Ashworth wrote:

> Yeah; you have fun with that.  Let me know how much time and money (at
> whatever rate you feel your worth) you expend on virus scans, reboots,
> reinstalls, spyware scanning, and the like in the next year, while I
> don't touch my Mythbox at all.

I agree absolutely. My last Myth box (recently replaced for hardware
update) ran over 600 days without a reboot, upgrade, virus scan, malware
checker or "Genuine Advantage" check. It also did not tell me "Your
computer might be in danger" even once.

Great marketing. "Your machine might be in danger" is of course true of
any machine under any circumstances, so M$ can't be accused of
falsehood, but somehow the warning always seems to come with some sort
of reason you have to open your wallet.

I've never heard of a Windows box running 600 days straight, under any
circumstances. I don't say it couldn't happen, just that I've never
heard of it.

beww